Master the Essential Techniques of a Professional Fine Artist, At Home
Learn the essential fine art skills and techniques necessary to unlock your full creative potential, with London Fine Art Studios’ 30-module series of online representational art courses
Discover Your Inner Artist
Fine art skills allow you to unlock your creativity and express yourself in ways that you could previously only imagine.
You might think that the skills of fine art are well beyond your reach – maybe you don’t have the time, can’t find a teacher in your area or have just assumed that you’re not capable.
Attending an art school, studio or atelier isn’t something everyone can do, but, whatever your commitments are, you do have the ability to learn and master all the techniques and processes required to create stunning works of art.
With Workshop, London Fine Art Studios are bringing their art studio and top-quality teachers to you.
London Fine Art Studios are breaking new ground in teaching the craft of drawing and painting to a community of dedicated artists in their own homes. They welcome students of all levels, providing a supportive learning environment in which to acquire new skills and develop a deeper understanding of the figurative tradition.
Earn a LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion
Get your LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion, and continue your journey with access to all sessions for an additional 6 months
Learn from the Finest Teachers in Your Own Home
Learn foundational artistic skills, techniques and practices from the renowned London Fine Art Studios
Access your step-by-step, video-guided drawing and painting sessions anywhere on a mobile, tablet or on the web
Learn alongside a class of like-minded, aspiring artists and receive real feedback on your art from your dedicated class mentor – one of London Fine Art Studios specialist tutors
Fine Arts at Home: 3-Part Series of Representational Art Courses
Art is a wonderful pursuit, helping people find internal rewards such as happiness and a sense of peace, and external rewards such as artistic recognition and an income.
Whether you are a complete beginner or a seasoned artist, this course will teach you the foundations of representational art.
With a step by step process, we will help develop your artistic skills and teach you the essential techniques of drawing and painting, re-instating the importance of tradition within contemporary art education.
This series of three 10-week courses will guide you through the fundamentals of drawing, oil painting and cast drawing.
Each week, you will unlock a new batch of video and practice-based sessions that take you step-by-step through the process of drawing and painting. With Workshop’s unique hands-on method of learning, you’ll be putting pencil to paper from day one with no need to read pages of theory in advance.
For each of the three courses, you will have access to the following through the Workshop app:
- 10 units, unlocked weekly, guiding you through 1-3 hours of drawing/painting time each week
- 1-3 individual sessions per week, totalling a suggested minimum of 3 hours practice
- Expert guidance and one-to-one support from your class mentor
- Collaborative group chat with your own private class and mentor
- Feedback on your artwork from your class and mentor via a private in-app feed of photo uploads
- An assessment to earn your course Certificate of Completion
In addition to the core aspects of the course, you will also get:
- Downloadable theory notes for you to keep
- Access to all video sessions for an additional 6 months after the end of each course
Average drawing/painting time: 3 hours per week
- At the start of each week, you will be prompted to schedule 1 guided video-based session plus 1-2 unguided practice sessions, and to gather all the art materials you’ll need to start drawing.
- In every guided session, you will follow a LFAS mentor through a series of step-by-step videos in your own studio space, learning directly through your experience. Practice sessions will then prompt you to hone your skills through focused exercises based on what you’ve learnt so far.
- After each session, you will be asked to upload photos of your artwork for discussion and feedback from your classmates and mentor.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion for each part of this series of courses once you have completed all units and your tutor has critiqued and approved your artwork.
Fine Arts at Home: Drawing for Beginners
- Setting up. Materials. Lighting. Objects at home. Sketchbook.
- Proportion and composition.
- Gesture and perspective.
- Mass/value in pencil with hatching.
- Edges – soft and hard, accents.
- Focus and focal points with reference to composition.
- Transitioning to tone. Toned paper and chalk.
- Transitioning to colour on toned paper. Values first then colouring crayons/pastels.
- Extended colour.
- Initial exercises in stepping stages to finish with the final drawing.
Fine Arts at Home: Transitioning to Oil Painting
- Setting up. Materials. Lighting. Objects at home.
- Proportion, composition and gesture.
- Mass/value in one colour.
- Mass/value with two colours (white and umber).
- Focus & focal points with edges.
- Transitioning to colour with colour harmony. Colour in light.
- Colour harmony. Colour in dark and light.
- Extended colour.
- Initial exercises in stepping stages and finished painting.
- Final painting without stepping stages but modelling up.
Fine Arts at Home: Advanced Cast Drawing & Painting
- Setting up. Materials. Lighting: natural or artificial.
- Drawing. Proportion. Gesture and shadow edge.
- Transitioning to oils.
- Shadow edge. Mass and values in darks.
- Adding white. Building into lights with nothing in darks.
- Edges and form.
- Accents and focal points.
What Our Students Say
London Fine Art Studios, on Workshop
London Fine Art Studios was founded by Ann Witheridge with the aim of teaching the craft of drawing and painting to a community of dedicated artists.
Ann studied art history at Christ’s College, Cambridge before moving to Italy to study art full-time. She has been teaching drawing and painting in the atelier tradition for nearly twenty years.
The studio welcomes students of all levels, providing a supportive learning environment in which to acquire new skills and develop a deeper understanding of the figurative tradition.
With Workshop’s unique learning experience, Ann and her team are now able to teach hands-on art skills to people in their own homes, providing in-depth feedback and a close community network just as they do at their studios in London.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to complete sessions at specific times?
Your class will be moving forward at a pace of 1 unit per week, however after each unit is unlocked you have the freedom to complete each session entirely at your own pace. You will also have the ability to schedule your sessions for times that suit your lifestyle.
These courses have been carefully designed to make sure the advantages of real-world learning experiences are still embraced online. You will therefore be taken through the subject matter week-by-week to give you the chance to digest what you’ve learnt whilst progressing at a steady pace alongside your classmates. Unlike a real-world course though, you will also have the opportunity to revisit sessions and practice whenever and wherever you like!
What if I miss a week?
How will I interact with my class?
Each week, your class will unlock a new unit prompting you all to draw or paint the same object within the same week. At the end of every session, you will be asked to upload a photo of your artwork, which your class and mentor will be able to view, like and provide feedback on.
Can I try before I buy?
How much contact will I get with my mentor?
When will I get to meet my class?
What is the typical workload per week of the course?
Will I get a list of all the equipment I’ll need for the course ahead of time?
What is your cancellation policy?
If you book your place within 30 days of the course start date, you can claim a full refund within 14 days of your purchase.
How long will I have access to the course?
You’ll have access to your course dashboard for the duration of your couse, plus an additional 6 months after your end date.
Units (including video sessions and supporting materials) will become available week-by-week as your class progresses through the course.