Master the Art of Oil Painting, at Home
Build your oil painting techniques to a level where you can fully express your creative potential, through London Fine Art Studios’ online representational art course, The Art of Oil Painting.
Awaken Your Inner Artist
The Art of Oil Painting course summary:
For both trained painters and beginners, this course takes a systematic approach to building and reinforcing your knowledge of the painting process, from drawing and massing in to adding values and moving onto colour.
In 10 weeks, you’ll become an independent painter, armed with the techniques, knowledge and fluency in visual language to create beautiful, naturalistic oil paintings, always working from life.
- 10-week, hands-on course
- Flexibility to learn when you want
- Learn new techniques every week
- Mentored throughout by LFAS experts
- Industry-leading Workshop learning app
- Learn alongside a community of fellow students
This course is the perfect guide to the materials and techniques used in oil painting. You will learn how to bring the world to life through your paintings, using Workshop’s step-by-step mobile and desktop tools.
Trained artists will enjoy this refresher on their artistic journey. For beginners, sequences of seemingly simple steps will build into a solid grounding in oil painting that can be translated to any subject matter, having completed sophisticated paintings throughout the course.
This is the perfect course for you if you want a thorough understanding of the oil painting process; from discussing light set-up, art materials and techniques to completing full-colour oil paintings working from life, the course will give you the skills and confidence to work on your own pieces and to keep developing your artwork.
Continuous feedback will help you see the process and tweak your method following critique from your tutor.
By seeing your peers develop at the same pace as you, you will learn from their process and edits as much as your own. This will help you develop a discerning eye by gaining the knowledge of how to analyse your work alongside other artists; This is key to the Atelier tradition where artists learn alongside one another.
Earn a LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion
Get your LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion, and continue your journey with access to all sessions for an additional 6 months
Learn from the Finest Teachers in Your Own Home
Fine Arts at Home: The Art of Oil Painting Online Course
Whether you are a seasoned artist, or a beginner who has completed our Drawing Techniques course, The Art of Oil Painting will teach and refine your oil painting process, building an understanding of the techniques and materials involved in confidently creating beautiful, artistic creations.
Experts from London Fine Art Studios will help you to develop your artistic skills, and Workshop’s step-by-step technology makes it easy to learn.
A thorough understanding of the process, art materials and composition will give you the freedom to create paintings. When transitioning to oil, problems can arise from wanting to produce an oil painting rather than following a step-by-step process.
It is important to learn the importance of drawing, values (lights and darks) and the mixing of colours. A limited colour palette pushes your understanding of colour to learn how to manipulate and mix fewer colours; colour is more about relationships and values than the actual hue.
This 10-week course will guide you through the oil painting process, including:
- Learning to use oil paints, understanding the materials and techniques.
- Working from life (and not photography) to translate nature onto a 2D picture plane.
- Understanding the visual language of oil painting, mass, values, edges, temperature and focal points.
After the course you will be an independent painter, having learnt to set up your still life project, understanding about composition and lighting; you will have a step-by-step guide to painting.
Each week, you will unlock a new batch of videos and practice-based sessions that take you step-by-step through the process of drawing and painting. With Workshop’s unique hands-on method of learning, you’ll be putting pencil to paper from day one with no need to read pages of theory in advance.
For the course, you will have access to the following through the Workshop app:
- 10 units, unlocked weekly, guiding you through 1-3 hours of drawing time each week.
- 1-3 individual sessions per week, totalling a suggested minimum of 3 hours practice.
- Expert guidance and one-to-one support from your class mentor.
- Collaborative group chat with your own private class and mentor.
- Feedback on your artwork from your class and mentor via a private in-app feed of photo uploads.
- An assessment to earn your course Certificate of Completion.
In addition to the core aspects of the course, you will also get:
- Downloadable theory notes for you to keep.
- Access to all video sessions for an additional 6 months after the end of each course.
Average drawing/painting time: 3 hours per week
- At the start of each week, you will be prompted to schedule 1 guided video-based session plus 1-2 unguided practice sessions, and to gather all the art materials you’ll need to start drawing.
- In every guided session, you will follow a LFAS mentor through a series of step-by-step videos in your own studio space, learning directly through your experience. Practice sessions will then prompt you to hone your skills through focused exercises based on what you’ve learnt so far.
- After each session, you will be asked to upload photos of your artwork for discussion and feedback from your classmates and mentor.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion for each part of this series of courses once you have completed all units and your tutor has critiqued and approved your artwork.
Fine Arts at Home: The Art of Oil Painting
- Setting up. Materials. Lighting. Objects at home.
- Proportion, composition and gesture.
- Mass/value in one colour.
- Mass/value with two colours (white and umber).
- Focus & focal points with edges.
- Transitioning to colour with colour harmony. Colour in light.
- Colour harmony. Colour in dark and light.
- Extended colour.
- Initial exercises in stepping stages and finished painting.
- Final painting without stepping stages but modelling up.
What Our Students Say
THE ART OF OIL PAINTING
14-day money-back guarantee
London Fine Art Studios, on Workshop
Ann studied art history at Christ’s College, Cambridge before moving to Italy to study art full-time. She has been teaching drawing and painting in the atelier tradition for nearly twenty years.
The studio welcomes students of all levels, providing a supportive learning environment in which to acquire new skills and develop a deeper understanding of the figurative tradition.
With Workshop’s unique learning experience, Ann and her team are now able to teach hands-on art skills to people in their own homes, providing in-depth feedback and a close community network just as they do at their studios in London.
Follow the popular LFAS learning pathway
Our fine arts courses have been developed to create a natural progression as you develop your skills as an artist. Each course has been designed to cover complementary techniques and build upon the lessons of the preceding course.
We love it when students join us for the whole pathway. As a thank you for joining Workshop and LFAS, when you complete a Fine Arts course, you’ll receive a £100 voucher towards the next course in the series.
LFAS Courses on Workshop:
£100 OFF YOUR NEXT COURSE
14-day money-back guarantee
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to complete sessions at specific times?
These courses have been carefully designed to make sure the advantages of real-world learning experiences are still embraced online. You will therefore be taken through the subject matter week-by-week to give you the chance to digest what you’ve learnt whilst progressing at a steady pace alongside your classmates. Unlike a real-world course though, you will also have the opportunity to revisit sessions and practice whenever and wherever you like!
What if I miss a week?
How will I interact with my class?
Each week, your class will unlock a new unit prompting you all to draw or paint the same object within the same week. At the end of every session, you will be asked to upload a photo of your artwork, which your class and mentor will be able to view, like and provide feedback on.
Can I try before I buy?
How much contact will I get with my mentor?
When will I get to meet my class?
What is the typical workload per week of the course?
Will I get a list of all the equipment I’ll need for the course ahead of time?
What is your cancellation policy?
If you book your place within 30 days of the course start date, you can claim a full refund within 14 days of your purchase.
How long will I have access to the course?
Units (including video sessions and supporting materials) will become available week-by-week as your class progresses through the course.