Master Essential Drawing Techniques at Home
Learn indispensable fine art skills & unlock your full creative potential with London Fine Art Studios’ online Drawing Techniques course.
Discover Your Inner Artist
Drawing Techniques course summary:
For aspiring artists of all ages, this course gives a grounding in the visual language and drawing techniques.
In 10 weeks, you’ll understand fundamental theory and be able to compose and create beautiful art drawings - with confidence to use your sketchbook out in the real world.
- 10-week, hands-on course
- Flexibility to learn when you want
- Learn new techniques every week
- Mentored throughout by LFAS experts
- Industry-leading Workshop learning app
- Learn alongside a community of fellow students
This course is a fantastic overview of the fundamental techniques of drawing. Students will learn how to create drawings from life in their own homes, through Workshop’s sequential step-by-step method.
Whether your intention is to move onto oils, watercolour and or any other medium, a fundamental understanding and mastery of the visual language and drawing techniques is essential.
Key to creating a good drawing is learning composition, creating an interesting set up, considering the balance of objects, the background and the direction and source of the light.
As well as drawing both with values (light and dark) and colour, you will learn about mark making and focal points – how to lead the viewer to different areas of the drawing.
The course will give you the confidence to sketch amongst others, to bring your sketchbook to cafes and museums, as well as giving you the ability to develop sophisticated drawings which stand as works of art in their own right.
Earn a LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion
Get your LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion, and continue your journey with access to all sessions for an additional 6 months
Learn from the Finest Teachers in Your Own Home
Learn foundational artistic skills, techniques and practices from the renowned London Fine Art Studios
Access your step-by-step, video-guided drawing and painting sessions anywhere on a mobile, tablet or on the web
Learn alongside a class of like-minded, aspiring artists and receive real feedback on your art from your dedicated class mentor – one of London Fine Art Studios specialist tutors
Fine Arts at Home: Drawing Techniques Online Course
Whether you are a complete beginner or a seasoned artist, this course will teach you the foundations of representational art.
With a step-by-step process, we will help develop your artistic skills and teach you the essential techniques of drawing and painting, reinstating the importance of tradition within contemporary art education.
This 10-week course will guide you through the fundamentals of drawing, including:
- An understanding of the visual language of drawing with values, mass and colour.
- An ability to compose and design visually effective drawings.
- Fluency with mark making, balancing mass and line, values and colour. Translating the composition onto a 2d picture plane, guiding the viewer to varying focal points.
- Confidence to set up, draw and sketch, not just at home but out and about.
- Learning the freedom that drawing from life can give you; as the artist you are making the artistic decisions and creative choices, as opposed to copying a photograph.
Each week, you will unlock a new batch of videos and practice-based sessions that take you step-by-step through the process of drawing and painting. With Workshop’s unique hands-on method of learning, you’ll be putting pencil to paper from day one, with no need to read pages of theory in advance.
For the course, you will have access to the following through the Workshop app:
- 10 units, unlocked weekly, guiding you through 1-3 hours of drawing time each week.
- 1-3 individual sessions per week, totalling a suggested minimum of 3 hours practice.
- Expert guidance and one-to-one support from your class mentor.
- Collaborative group chat with your own private class and mentor.
- Feedback on your artwork from your class and mentor via a private in-app feed of photo uploads.
- An assessment to earn your course Certificate of Completion.
In addition to the core aspects of the course, you will also get:
- Downloadable theory notes for you to keep.
- Access to all video sessions for an additional 6 months after the end of each course.
Average drawing/painting time: 3 hours per week
- At the start of each week, you will be prompted to schedule 1 guided video-based session plus 1-2 unguided practice sessions, and to gather all the art materials you’ll need to start drawing.
- In every guided session, you will follow a LFAS mentor through a series of step-by-step videos in your own studio space, learning directly through your experience. Practice sessions will then prompt you to hone your skills through focused exercises based on what you’ve learnt so far.
- After each session, you will be asked to upload photos of your artwork for discussion and feedback from your classmates and mentor.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion for each part of this series of courses once you have completed all units and your tutor has critiqued and approved your artwork.
Fine Arts at Home: Drawing Techniques
- Setting up. Materials. Lighting. Objects at home. Sketchbook.
- Proportion and composition.
- Gesture and perspective.
- Mass/value in pencil with hatching.
- Edges – soft and hard, accents.
- Focus and focal points with reference to composition.
- Transitioning to tone. Toned paper and chalk.
- Transitioning to colour on toned paper. Values first then colouring crayons/pastels.
- Extended colour.
- Initial exercises in stepping stages to finish with the final drawing.
What Our Students Say
14-day money-back guarantee
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
London Fine Art Studios, on Workshop
London Fine Art Studios was founded by Ann Witheridge with the aim of teaching the craft of drawing and painting to a community of dedicated artists.
Ann studied art history at Christ’s College, Cambridge before moving to Italy to study art full-time. She has been teaching drawing and painting in the atelier tradition for nearly twenty years.
The studio welcomes students of all levels, providing a supportive learning environment in which to acquire new skills and develop a deeper understanding of the figurative tradition.
With Workshop’s unique learning experience, Ann and her team are now able to teach hands-on art skills to people in their own homes, providing in-depth feedback and a close community network just as they do at their studios in London.
Follow the popular LFAS learning pathway
Our fine arts courses have been developed to create a natural progression as you develop your skills as an artist. Each course has been designed to cover complementary techniques and build upon the lessons of the preceding course.
We love it when students join us for the whole pathway. As a thank you for joining Workshop and LFAS, when you complete a Fine Arts course, you’ll receive a £100 voucher towards the next course in the series.
LFAS Courses on Workshop:
£100 OFF YOUR NEXT COURSE
Enrol in Drawing Techniques now and you’ll get £100 off The Art of Oil Painting – the next course on the LFAS pathway.
14-day money-back guarantee
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to complete sessions at specific times?
Your class will be moving forward at a pace of 1 unit per week, however after each unit is unlocked you have the freedom to complete each session entirely at your own pace. You will also have the ability to schedule your sessions for times that suit your lifestyle.
These courses have been carefully designed to make sure the advantages of real-world learning experiences are still embraced online. You will therefore be taken through the subject matter week-by-week to give you the chance to digest what you’ve learnt whilst progressing at a steady pace alongside your classmates. Unlike a real-world course though, you will also have the opportunity to revisit sessions and practice whenever and wherever you like!
What if I miss a week?
How will I interact with my class?
Each week, your class will unlock a new unit prompting you all to draw or paint the same object within the same week. At the end of every session, you will be asked to upload a photo of your artwork, which your class and mentor will be able to view, like and provide feedback on.
Can I try before I buy?
How much contact will I get with my mentor?
When will I get to meet my class?
What is the typical workload per week of the course?
Will I get a list of all the equipment I’ll need for the course ahead of time?
What is your cancellation policy?
If you book your place within 30 days of the course start date, you can claim a full refund within 14 days of your purchase.
How long will I have access to the course?
You’ll have access to your course dashboard for the duration of your couse, plus an additional 6 months after your end date.
Units (including video sessions and supporting materials) will become available week-by-week as your class progresses through the course.