Develop Advanced Drawing and Painting Techniques, at Home
Hone your drawing skills and train your artistic eye with London Fine Arts Studios’ Cast Drawing & Painting 10-week online course.
Hone Your Artistic Skills
Cast Drawing & Painting course summary:
This technical course is designed to sharpen the drawing skills of trained artists and beginners alike, whether using charcoal or oil paints.
The Cast Drawing & Painting course builds on traditional atelier methods to help train your eye to see proportion and values – a skill transferable to all subject matter.
- 10-week, hands-on course
- Flexibility to learn when you want
- Learn new techniques every week
- Mentored throughout by LFAS experts
- Industry-leading Workshop learning app
- Learn alongside a community of fellow students
Throughout the history of art, aspiring artists would work from plaster casts to master their drawing skills and to understand the importance of shapes, mass and values (lights and darks); this is the grammar and foundation of an artist’s training and so is an essential step to truly understanding the learning process .
This course will give you a thorough understanding of drawing and painting techniques. With the confidence and knowledge that your artistic training is built on solid technical foundations, you will gain the freedom and confidence to experiment and push your art to new levels.
Drawing from plaster casts is a traditional and fundamental method to help train your eye in proportion and values, without the distraction of colour. These skills are essential to an aspiring artist’s training.
With the tools and knowledge taught on this course, students will gain a deep understanding of academic painting, along with training in proportion, gesture and values.
These technical skills will last a lifetime and they can be applied to other courses and subject matters, from still life to portraiture and landscape.
Earn a LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion
Get your LFAS-approved Certificate of Completion, and continue your journey with access to all sessions for an additional 6 months
Learn from the Finest Teachers in Your Own Home
Fine Arts at Home: Cast Drawing & Painting Online Course
Experts from London Fine Art Studios will help you to develop your artistic skills, and Workshop’s step-by-step technology makes it easy to learn.
This 10-week course will improve your artistic knowledge:
- To train your eye in the understanding of proportions and values.
- To gain a solid foundation in the grammar of drawing and oil painting.
- Once the grammar is really understood, you will be much better able to draw and paint with freedom in other subject matters.
- You will get a thorough understanding of the essential techniques of proportion, gestures, mass, values, edges and focal points.
Alongside charcoals and oil paints, you will need a plaster cast to work from – a white sculpture made of plaster or marble. If you don’t have access to something like this, you can pick one up from a charity shop or an art shop, such as Lavender Hill Colours.
Each week, you will unlock a new batch of videos and practice-based sessions that take you step-by-step through the process of drawing and painting. With Workshop’s unique hands-on method of learning, you’ll be putting pencil to paper from day one with no need to read pages of theory in advance.
For the course, you will have access to the following through the Workshop app:
- 10 units, unlocked weekly, guiding you through 1-3 hours of drawing time each week.
- 1-3 individual sessions per week, totalling a suggested minimum of 3 hours practice.
- Expert guidance and one-to-one support from your class mentor.
- Collaborative group chat with your own private class and mentor.
- Feedback on your artwork from your class and mentor via a private in-app feed of photo uploads.
- An assessment to earn your course Certificate of Completion.
In addition to the core aspects of the course, you will also get:
- Downloadable theory notes for you to keep.
- Access to all video sessions for an additional 6 months after the end of each course.
Average drawing/painting time: 3 hours per week
- At the start of each week, you will be prompted to schedule 1 guided video-based session plus 1-2 unguided practice sessions, and to gather all the art materials you’ll need to start drawing.
- In every guided session, you will follow a LFAS mentor through a series of step-by-step videos in your own studio space, learning directly through your experience. Practice sessions will then prompt you to hone your skills through focused exercises based on what you’ve learnt so far.
- After each session, you will be asked to upload photos of your artwork for discussion and feedback from your classmates and mentor.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion for each part of this series of courses once you have completed all units and your tutor has critiqued and approved your artwork.
Fine Arts at Home: Cast Drawing & Painting
- Setting up. Materials. Lighting: natural or artificial.
- Drawing. Proportion. Gesture and shadow edge.
- Transitioning to oils.
- Shadow edge. Mass and values in darks.
- Adding white. Building into lights with nothing in darks.
- Edges and form.
- Accents and focal points.
What Our Students Say
CAST DRAWING & PAINTING
14-day money-back guarantee
London Fine Art Studios, on Workshop
Ann studied art history at Christ’s College, Cambridge before moving to Italy to study art full-time. She has been teaching drawing and painting in the atelier tradition for nearly twenty years.
The studio welcomes students of all levels, providing a supportive learning environment in which to acquire new skills and develop a deeper understanding of the figurative tradition.
With Workshop’s unique learning experience, Ann and her team are now able to teach hands-on art skills to people in their own homes, providing in-depth feedback and a close community network just as they do at their studios in London.
Follow the popular LFAS learning pathway
Our fine arts courses have been developed to create a natural progression as you develop your skills as an artist. Each course has been designed to cover complementary techniques and build upon the lessons of the preceding course.
We love it when students join us for the whole pathway. As a thank you for joining Workshop and LFAS, when you complete a Fine Arts course, you’ll receive a £100 voucher towards the next course in the series.
LFAS Courses on Workshop:
EXISTING STUDENTS: £100 OFF
Take on the previous course on the LFAS learning pathway –The Art of Oil Painting – and get £100 off Cast Drawing & Painting.
14-day money-back guarantee
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to complete sessions at specific times?
These courses have been carefully designed to make sure the advantages of real-world learning experiences are still embraced online. You will therefore be taken through the subject matter week-by-week to give you the chance to digest what you’ve learnt whilst progressing at a steady pace alongside your classmates. Unlike a real-world course though, you will also have the opportunity to revisit sessions and practice whenever and wherever you like!
What if I miss a week?
How will I interact with my class?
Each week, your class will unlock a new unit prompting you all to draw or paint the same object within the same week. At the end of every session, you will be asked to upload a photo of your artwork, which your class and mentor will be able to view, like and provide feedback on.
Can I try before I buy?
How much contact will I get with my mentor?
When will I get to meet my class?
What is the typical workload per week of the course?
Will I get a list of all the equipment I’ll need for the course ahead of time?
What is your cancellation policy?
If you book your place within 30 days of the course start date, you can claim a full refund within 14 days of your purchase.
How long will I have access to the course?
Units (including video sessions and supporting materials) will become available week-by-week as your class progresses through the course.